Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle today announced the Cook County Government Fellowship Program, a partnership with the Civic Consulting Alliance to provide summer internship opportunities for dedicated young people.
“We are excited to be able to provide this opportunity for young people in our communities,” Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle. “More and more young people need to get involved in the political process and this will give students an opportunity to see their Government in action. I’m grateful to the Civic Consulting Alliance for overseeing this program.”
The Cook County Government Fellowship is a summer internship opportunity in Chicago for graduate students to develop leadership skills, create a civic network and have a lasting, positive impact on Cook County. Within the context of a structured learning environment, Fellows gain first-hand experience in the various departments within Cook County through:
- Completing high-impact projects while working side-by-side with a management level program officer within one of their fellowship program areas: President’s Office [Policy, Communications, IGA, External Affairs and Legal] Human Resources, Economic Development and Finance.
- Developing an understanding of government policies, projects and operations, as well as approaches and challenges for each.
- Developing in-depth content knowledge through research conducted within that program area.
- Lunch and learn activities within the Civic Consulting Alliance summer internship program, in addition to independent County learning activities and events.
Candidates should be registered in a graduate degree program in business, public policy, public affairs, or other related degree. Candidates may also be registered in a law school and are currently entering or completed their second or third year
Fellows commit a minimum of 10 weeks from June through August. This is a pilot program in 2012 and a joint collaboration between the Civic Consulting Alliance and Cook County. Compensation for the summer program is $20/hour for 10 weeks, with fellows not to exceed 40 hours per week.
The Civic Consulting Alliance, not Cook County, will oversee the hiring and personnel decisions during the search process.
For consideration for a Fellowship for the summer, the application deadline is Friday May 4, 2012. Applicants will be accepted on a rolling process until the May 4 deadline. Please send the following to email@example.com:
- Resume and cover letter
- Three references (references will not be contacted without first talking to the candidate)
- One page response to the following: If you had the opportunity to assist Cook County on a critical issue, which issue would you choose and why? What do you think are the critical components to solving this problem?
- Please note “Cook County Government Fellow for Graduate Students” in the email subject line
To view the application, please visit: http://www.ccachicago.org/careers/cook-county-government-fellow