The Cook County Government Fellowship is a summer internship opportunity in Chicago for graduate students to develop leadership skills, create a civic network and have a lasting, positive impact on Cook County. Within the context of a structured learning environment, Fellows gain first-hand experience in the various departments within Cook County through:
- Completing high-impact projects while working side-by-side with a management level program officer within one of their fellowship program areas such as the President’s Office [Communications, Intergovernmental Affairs, and Legal Counsel], Human Resources, Economic Development, and Finance;
- Developing an understanding of government policies, projects and operations, as well as approaches and challenges for each;
- Developing in-depth content knowledge through research conducted within that program area;
- Lunch and learn activities within the Civic Consulting Alliance summer internship program, in addition to independent County learning activities and events.
Candidates should be registered in a graduate degree program in business, public policy, public affairs, or other related degree. Candidates may also be registered in a law school and currently entering or completed their second or third year.
Fellows commit to a minimum of 10 weeks beginning June 23, 2014. Compensation for the summer program is $20/hour, with Fellows not to exceed 40 hours per week.
For consideration for a Fellowship for the summer, the application deadline is Monday, April 7, 2014. The Civic Consulting Alliance will oversee the hiring and personnel decisions during the search process. Please send the following to email@example.com:
- Resume and cover letter
- Three references (references will not be contacted without first talking to the candidate)
- One page response to the following: If you had the opportunity to assist Cook County on a critical issue, which issue would you choose and why? What do you think are the critical components to solving this problem?
- Please note “Cook County Government Fellow for Graduate Students” in the email subject line.