About the Department
The Cook County Department of Environmental Control strives to improve the quality of the environment and protect the public health of the residents of Cook County.
Mandates and Key Activities
- Inspection and permitting of process equipment, air pollution control equipment, business fuel burning equipment, building demolition, asbestos removal, open burning, gas station vapor recovery, dry cleaners, solid waste and recycling facilities and other activities;
- Monitoring of air quality across the County;
- Solid waste planning and coordination in Suburban Cook;
- Improving sustainability of County operations and Suburban Cook communities.
NEW HOURS AS OF DECEMBER 1, 2015!
Walk-in Consultation Hours for Asbestos and Demolition Permits: Mondays and Wednesdays, 9:00 am – 12:00 noon (or the following day if one of these falls on a County holiday).
An appointment may be made IN ADVANCE for consultation outside these hours – call 312-603-8200
Drop-off of Completed Permit Applications: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Mondays through Fridays (except holidays)
Phone consultation hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Mondays through Fridays (except holidays) – call 312-603-8200
- Permit processing periods begin from the postmark date on your submission.
- Permits are sent to the contractor listed on the permit application, unless otherwise noted. If you are a property owner checking on the status of your permit, please check with your contractor first.
Certificate of Operation
The Cook County Department of Environmental Control is utilizing an on-line system for facilities to print and post their annual Certificate of Operation (COO). Please wait at least two weeks after submitting your payment to the County to allow for processing time, before printing your COO.
Note that in in accordance with Sec. 30-186 of the Cook County Municipal Code, “It shall be unlawful for any person to use or operate any fuel-burning, combustion, or process equipment, process, or device which is subject to annual inspection, as set forth in Section 30-231, without having an effective certificate of operation thereof.”
Sustainability in Cook County
Have you seen Cook County’s sustainability website? http://blog.cookcountyil.gov/sustainability
At Cook County we want to lead by example. At the site you’ll find information about County projects to lower our environmental footprint and our costs.
24 hours a day at: (312) 603-8200.