New Regulatory Codes
On November 19, 2014 the Cook County Board of Commissioners approved an ordinance adopting new regulatory codes. Click here to review and download notice. More information:
- Water and Sewage – Plumbing Code
- Electrical Code – 145599 - Due to the size of this document, please download it as a pdf to your personal computer, rather than scroll through the document on-line. The prompt to download as a pdf is located in the top left hand corner of the page.
- International Code Council – Purchase the ICC Codes online
- Adopting Ordinance
- Building Fee Schedule
- Energy Benchmarking Report
Cook County Building and Environmental Ordinance of 1997
This ordinance includes requirements for: building, environmental, electrical and plumbing. This building ordinance is not based on a model code. The full code is not available online. Printed copies may be obtained through the publisher:
The latest edition of the Cook County Building Code was published in 1997. This addendum is a compilation of changes to the Cook County Building Code from the 1997 through February 4, 2009.
Illinois Accessibility Code, effective April 24, 1997.
Fee Waivers for Public Entities and Not-for-profit Organizations
2012 International Energy Conservation Code
Note: All roof tear-offs require compliance with minimum roof insulation provisions.
To obtain this code, please go to the website for the International Code Council (ICC) at: .http://www.iccsafe.org
Architectural Advisory - Single Family Residential – posted online May, 2012
Architectural Advisory - All structures other than single family residential – posted online May, 2012
The Cook County Board of Commissioners have passed an Ordinance (2012) , revising how the Cook County Department of Building and Zoning will handle fee waivers for public entities and not-for-profit organizations. Click here for details.
Amendment to the Cook County Building Ordinance (May 29, 2013). Topics include: Exit requirements, Enclosure of Exitways, Stairs, Shafts, and Vertical Openings, Quick Response Automatic Fire Sprinklers and Means of Providing Ventilation. Please open and review the entire Ordinance for details.
Cook County Zoning Ordinance
Ord. No. 01-O-30, as adopted by the County Board on November 6, 2001. Amendments are indicated by parenthetical history notes following amended provisions. The absence of a history note indicates that the provision remains unchanged from the original. Obvious misspellings and punctuation errors have been corrected without notation. For stylistic purposes, headings and catchlines have been made uniform, and the same system of capitalization, citations to state statutes, and expression of numbers in text as appears in the County Code has been used. Additions for clarity are indicated by brackets.
The Cook County Zoning Ordinance was most recently amended in 2003. Included sections are:
- Cook County Zoning Ordinance of 2003
- Floodplain Ordinance for Cook County
- Cook County Subdivisional Manual
- Tree Preservation, Landscaping and Screening
- Governing the Processing of Planned Use Development, Map Amendment and Special Use Applications Filed Prior to the Effective Date of the 2003 Ordinance
- Billboard and Off-Premise Outdoor Advertising Sign Ordinance of Cook County
Click on each link to view various sections:
Part II: Land Development Ordinances:
Summary table of requirements for classification of various commercial, industrial, public and residential zoning districts.