Census 2020 Archive
Information Archive for Census 2020
What is the Census 2020?
- The U.S. Census counts every resident in the United States.
- A census is mandated by Article I, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution.
- It takes place every 10 years. 2020 is our next census.
- Message from Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle
- Letter from Commissioner Stanley Moore, Chair, Cook County Complete Count Census Commission
- Census Outreach Calendar
- Sign up to become a Census Champion! Be a leader in communities across Cook County who can be entrusted to share the message on the importance of the 2020 Census.
Why Does it Matter?
- The Census impacts every individual and community in Cook County.
- The data is used to distribute billions in federal funds to local communities in areas such as transportation, healthcare and affordable housing, to name a few. One example is the Community Development Block Grant Program.
- An accurate census helps ensure fair representation at all levels of government – congressional districts, commissioner districts and wards.
Interactive Maps and Data
The Cook County Bureau of Technology (BOT) Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Data Analytics teams worked together to create this map using 2010 Census data. The map helps Cook County in targeting outreach to hard-to-count communities.
- Cook County Response Rate Map
- Please follow this link to view and download the data catalog. More information and instructions are included on the landing page. Also included are other more recent sources of data.
- 2010 U.S. Census Mail Return Rates and Demographics by Tract
The U.S. Census has provided an online map allowing you to zoom to any area in the country and the map will highlight the local hard-to-count tracts and provide details about how much of the area's population may be at risk of an undercount. You can also view local resources in hard-to-count areas such as public library branches.
- View Cook County hard to count data using U.S. Census map.
- View all data sets within the U.S. Census map.
- Post 2010 data sources - from U.S. Census Bureau
- 2018 American Community Survey Data Wheel
Census Outreach Application
Thank you for your interest in the Cook County Census 2020 Outreach Program. At this time, there are no additional rounds of funding for grants and the Bureau of Economic Development is no longer accepting grant applications. In the event of any changes, we will post updates to the Cook County Census 2020 website. You can help ensure a complete count of our communities by using our resource toolkit to share information on the Census. See below.