This guide contains resources for victims of identity theft. Links to PDF documents require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.
- Chicago Police Department: Identity Theft (PDF) - Brochure covering what you should do if you are victim of identity theft.
- Cook County State’s Attorney: Identity Theft - Information and contact numbers if you are a victim of identity theft.
- Cook County Clerk of Court - Select Expungement, Sealing, Identity Theft/Factual Innocence Information for the publication: Criminal Identity Theft FAQ.
- Cook County Clerk of Court Forms has forms from the Criminal Department addressing financial identity theft and criminal identity theft.
- Illinois Attorney General Identity Theft Hotline - Resources include forms, fact sheets, posters, and more.
- Identity Theft complaint form (PDF) - También disponible en Español.
- Identity Theft Resource Guide for Illinois Consumers (PDF)
- Guide to Expunge Record Based on Identity Theft/Factual Innocence (PDF) - Document from the Illinois Office of the State Appellate Defender.
- Identity Theft and Financial Fraud - Description and links to texts of federal laws. From the United States Office for Victims of Crime.
- IdentityTheft.gov - Report identity theft and get a recovery plan with step-by-step guidance. The federal government’s one-stop resource for identity theft victims. Also address special forms of identity theft including tax, child, and medical.
- En Español: Reporte el robo de identidad y obtenga un plan de acción.
- Know Your Rights - Information on the rights of victims of identity theft.
- Consumer Information: Identity Theft - Includes information on privacy, identity and online security, how to access your free credit report, and information and videos on how to submit a consumer complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- Consumer.gov: Scams and Identity Theft - Information on avoiding and recovering from identity theft, job and money wiring scams, and scams targeting immigrants.
- Identity Theft and Identity Fraud - Information about identity theft and identity fraud from the United States Department of Justice (DOJ)
- Identity Protection: Prevention, Detection and Victim Assistance - Information on identity protection – prevention, detection, and victim assistance. From the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- In the Spotlight: Identity Theft - Resources and information to help combat identity theft from the National Criminal Justice Reference Service (NCJRS)
- Identity Theft and Your Social Security Number (PDF) - Brochure with information on protecting your social security number. From the United States Social Security Administration (SSA)
- Identity Theft Resource Center - The Identity Theft Resource Center (ITRC) is a nonprofit program focusing solely on identity theft. Includes information for victims, consumers, law enforcement and the media.
- ILAO: Money and Debt - Click on "Identity Theft and Lost Credit Cards" to read about identity theft, including expungement forms, how to recognize identity theft scams, and more. From Illinois Legal Aid Online (ILAO)
- Privacy Rights Clearinghouse - Consumer advocacy organization that offers more than 100 informational fact sheets.
- NCLC Brochures for Older Consumers - Brochures on consumer topics including identity theft. From the National Consumer Law Center (NCLC)
- NOLO Legal Encyclopedia: Identity Theft - NOLO publishes self-help legal guides. The Cook County Law Library provides free, remote access to NOLO publications and other self-help guides through the EBSCO Legal Information Reference Center.
- Identity Theft Statutes - Chart summarizing state identity theft criminal penalties and restitution provisions. From the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL)
The web sites listed in this guide are for information only and are not endorsed or supported by the
Cook County Law Library. Please independently verify the accuracy and currency of all information. Consult an attorney for legal advice.
Compiled by Jean Wenger
Last updated December 2017