This guide features links to litigation resources, from court rules to forms to information on civil appeals. For jury instructions, see the separate Legal Research - Jury Instructions guide.
- Circuit Court of Cook County - From the Office of the Chief Judge of the Circuit Court of Cook County
- Divisions of the Circuit Court of Cook County - Provides information and publications from the various division of the Circuit Court. The Law Division provides calendars, Major Case Court-Annexed Civil Mediation and Black Line Trial Call information.
- Illinois Rules of Evidence - Rules effective as of January 1, 2011, including amendments through the present.
- Illinois Rules of Evidence: A Color-Coded Guide: a side-by-side comparison with the Federal Rules of Evidence including commentary. By Gino L. DeVito.
- Illinois Supreme Court Rules - Text of Supreme Court Rules including committee comments.
- Public Domain Citation (pdf) - Press release from the Illinois Supreme Court
- Rule 6 - Text of the Illinois Supreme Court rule on citations
- Federal Rules of Civil Procedure - Including most recent amendments. From the Cornell Legal Information Institute (LII)
- Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure - Including most recent amendments. From Cornell LII.
- Federal Rules of Evidence (FRE) - Including most recent amendments. From Cornell LII.
- Official Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals site - Includes federal and circuit rules, proposed rule changes, court calendar, docket sheets, briefs, oral arguments, court opinions, Practitioner's Handbook, standards for professional conduct, 7th Circuit Operating Procedures, Pattern Civil Jury Instructions, Pattern Criminal Jury Instructions, guidelines for briefs and other papers, brief examples and a checklist.
- United States District Court, Northern Circuit of Illinois - Includes forms, opinions, court rules, and calendar.
- LLRX: Court Rules, Forms, & Dockets - Browse or search by jurisdiction for court rules, forms, and dockets.
- ExpertLaw.com - Search for experts by category. A free directory. By Law Offices of Aaron Larson.
- JurisPro Expert Witness Directory - A free online expert witness directory. Searchable by name or area of expertise.
- National Directory of Expert Witnesses - Search by keyword, browse by subject, or by personal or company name. From Claims Providers of America.
- ALMExperts.com - Search by area of expertise or name or browse by topic.
- Experts.com - A searchable worldwide directory of experts and consultants.
- EBSCO Legal Information Reference Center - Access this subscription service provided by Cook County Law Library for self-help publications on dozens of topics and many forms.
- FindLaw: Forms Collection and Forms Indexes - Includes sample business contracts and links to federal court forms by circuit and court forms by state. Note that not all forms are available free of charge.
- State Circuit Court Forms by county
- Illinois Supreme Court Standard Interrogatories (pdf) - Covers motor vehicle, matrimonial, and medical malpractice cases. See S.Ct. Rule 213 from the Illinois Supreme Court site.
- Reference Manual on Scientific Evidence, 3rd ed., 2011 - From the Federal Judicial Center.
- Managing Discovery of Electronic Information: a pocket guide for judges, 3rd ed., 2017 - From the Federal Judicial Center.
- Electronic Discovery Law - A blog focusing on electronic discovery with case summaries, resources and news. Includes the Electronic Discovery Case Database of over 1500 electronic discovery cases collected from state and federal jurisdictions around the United States. Search results contain lists of case citations and brief case descriptions. Published and maintained by K&L Gates.
- Forensic Examination of Digital Evidence: A Guide for Law Enforcement, April 2004 - A NIJ Special Report for the law enforcement community responsible for the examination of digital evidence.
- E-Discovery Resources - Provides publications, glossary, case summaries, rules & statutes, newsletters, and podcasts. Provided by Kroll OnTrack.
- Legaltech News - Formerly Law Technology News.
- Center for Jury Studies - A collection of guides, publications, and links from the National Center for State Courts.
- Cook County Jury Verdict Reporter - A subscription service. The free Illinois Litigation Highlights newsletter provides monthly summaries of selected verdicts and settlements.
- MoreLaw Verdict Search - Search for jury verdicts and settlements nationwide. Must select field to search. Founded by Tulsa lawyer Kent Morlan.
- Securities Class Action Clearinghouse - The Clearinghouse provides detailed information relating to the prosecution, defense, and settlement of federal class action securities fraud litigation. From Stanford University.
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- FLASHPOINTS - Brief articles on current legal topics.
- Bar Admissions Guide - Current bar admission requirements. From the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE)
- Physician Profile Search - From the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation. Search for physicians licensed in the state including legal actions, discipline and education.
- International Judicial Assistance - From the United States Department of State. Arranged by country, information on service of process abroad, and obtaining evidence abroad.
- Illinois Trial Practice Weblog - Tips and techniques for trial lawyers appearing for the plaintiff or defense. New posts on hiatus since August 2015.
- MyShingle.com - Tips and information for solo and small firm lawyers.
For more resources see our page on legal news sources.
- Federal Judicial Center - Select Publications and Videos to access the catalog of available resources. Includes a wide variety of topics: discovery and disclosure, evidence, expert witnesses, mass torts, attorneys' fees, and more.
- ABA Civil Trial Practice Standards - Includes most recent revision of the Standards, the Civil Discovery Standards, the Standards Report, as well as conduct guidelines including the ABA Social Media Policy.
- Understanding the Federal Courts - From the Administrative Office of the United States Courts.
- American College of Trial Lawyers Library - Includes codes of trial conduct, white papers, and reports on various aspects of trial practice.
- Resolution Systems Institute (RSI) - Includes full-text articles, introductory materials and a bibliography on alternative dispute resolution in Illinois. Also includes links to description of ADR programs in Illinois, relevant statutes and rules, and a searchable, annotated database of court-related ADR resources.
- Center for Conflict Resolution (CCR) - CCR is a not-for-profit mediation center, established by the Chicago Bar Association in 1979. It provides mediation services in court-annexed programs in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution - For the 19th Judicial Circuit, Lake County.
- Illinois Supreme Court Rules - Civil appeals rules, Rules 301-400.
- Cook County Circuit Court Civil Appeals Division - Includes rules, forms, an FAQ, and brochures.
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals - Federal and circuit rules, proposed rule changes, court calendar, docket sheets, briefs, oral arguments, court opinions, Practitioner's Handbook, standards for professional conduct, 7th Circuit Operating Procedures, Pattern Civil Jury Instructions, Pattern Criminal Jury Instructions, guidelines for briefs and other papers, brief examples and a checklist.
- Illinois Legal Aid - Includes a Guide to Illinois Civil Appellate Procedure. Also includes guides for appealing specific kinds of cases.
PLEASE NOTE: The websites listed in this guide are for information only and are not endorsed or supported by the Cook County Law Library. Please independently verify the accuracy and currency of all information. Consult an attorney for legal advice.
Compiled by Jean M. Wenger
Revised January 2019 by David Sanborne
Revised August 2020 by Jenik Nichols