2018 Cook County Summer Fellowship Program Applications Now Being Accepted
Applications for the 2018 Cook County Government Fellowship program are being accepted through Thursday, March 1, 2018. The Cook County Government Fellowship is a summer internship opportunity in Chicago for graduate students to develop leadership skills, create a civic network and have a lasting, positive impact on Cook County. Fellows gain first-hand experience in various Cook County departments through:
- Completing high-impact projects while working side-by-side with a management level program officer within one of the fellowship program areas such as the President’s Office [Communications, Intergovernmental Affairs, and Legal Counsel], Human Resources, Economic Development, or Finance;
- Developing an understanding of government policies, projects and operations, as well as approaches and challenges for each;
- Developing in-depth content knowledge through research conducted within that program area;
- Participating in lunch and learn activities within the Civic Consulting Alliance summer internship program, in addition to independent County learning activities and events; and
- Completing a final presentation on the assigned project.
Candidates should be registered in a graduate degree program such as business, public policy, public affairs, urban planning, or another related degree. Candidates registered in law school and having completed their first or second year are also encouraged to apply.
Fellows will commit to a period of 10 weeks beginning either June 4, 2018 or June 11, 2018 unless otherwise approved by the Chief of Human Resources and Fellowships may only be extended upon approval of the Chief of Human Resources. Fellows must advise the County of their participation in any other summer programs that may cause an interruption in the established ten week schedule.
Compensation for the summer program is $10/hour, and will comply with the County’s Minimum Wage Ordinance. Fellows are not to exceed 40 hours per week.
Applications for the 2018 Fellowship program are due by Thursday, March 1, 2018. The Civic Consulting Alliance will oversee the screening, hiring and personnel decisions during the search process. Interested candidates should send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Resume and cover letter
- Three references (references will not be contacted without first talking to the candidate)
- One page response to the following:
- If you had the opportunity to assist Cook County on a critical issue, which issue would you choose and why?
- What do you think are the critical components to solving this problem?
- Please note “Cook County Government Fellow for Graduate Students” in the email subject line.