NOTE: This page contains information for Veterinarians and Animal Hospitals.
If you are a member of the public looking for rabies vaccinations and tags for your animals, please see the Rabies Vaccination Tags page on our main site. Cook County Residents looking to purchase or replace tags, do not use Rabies Tag Order Form, as this is for Veterinarians and Animal Hospital use only.
About Rabies Tags
Cook County Animal and Rabies Control issues annual Rabies Tags for animal hospitals and clinics to provide with vaccinations of any dog, cat or ferret four months or more of age in the County per ordinance:
Cook County Ordinance Chapter 10, Article 2, Section 10-41 (b) - "Evidence of such rabies inoculation shall be entered on a certificate approved by the County Board of Commissioners. Veterinarians who inoculate an animal shall procure from the County Department of Animal and Rabies Control serially numbered tags, one to be issued with each inoculation certificate. Only one animal shall be included on each certificate. Upon change of ownership application shall be made for a new inoculation certificate. Such tags shall be attached to the collar or harness worn by the animal for which the tag was issued when the animal is off the property of the owner.
2021 Rabies Tag Sales
- December 1, 2020 - purchase of 2021 Rabies Tags begins
- January 1, 2021 - begin use of 2021 Rabies Tags
- February 1, 2021 - new or updated Veterinary Licenses must be received to allow for continued purchase of Rabies Tags in 2021
The costs of 2021 Rabies Tags are as follows:
- One Year $6.00
- Three Year $18.00
To order your 2021 Rabies Tags:
- Complete and print the order form:
- Submit with payment to: Cook County Animal and Rabies Control | 10220 South 76th Avenue | Bridgeview, IL 60455 ATTN: Rabies Tag Order
Note that payments must be received by our office to be processed.
Reminders regarding orders:
- Account Number - Your account number MUST be on the form. If you do not know your account number, call our office at (708) 974-6140 and we will be happy to provide it.
- Veterinary License Requirements for Purchasing Rabies Tags - In order to purchase Cook County rabies tags, we will need you to send by mail or fax to (708) 974-6046 a copy of your valid veterinary license before February 1, 2021. If we do not receive this, you will be unable to purchase rabies tags.
- Limits - There is a 150 tag order limit for 3 year tags, per order. If your order exceeds 150, your order will be returned.
- NSF Fees - All payments returned for any reason, will be assessed a $35.00 fee per returned item.
2020 Rabies Tags Credits
- January 31, 2021 - 2020 Tag Credits Deadline. All submissions for 2020 tag credit must be received.
- March 15, 2021 - Letters of credit will be mailed for all complete submissions
- August 31, 2021 - all 2020 Tag Credits must be used. All credits will be purged from the system after this date
How to Return 2020 Tags
To return your unused 2020 Rabies Tags for credit on your 2021 Rabies Tags:
- Complete the form and print to include in your package:
- Prepare your unused tags for return, using the Packaging Instructions below
- Send back tags and form by January 31, 2021 to:
Cook County Animal and Rabies Control | 10220 South 76th Avenue | Bridgeview, IL 60455 ATTN: 2019 Rabies Tag Credit
About Tag Credits
- Credits will be issued for returned 2020 rabies tags. We are no longer issuing refunds for returned tags, except if the hospital/clinic closes.
- Credits will be limited to 150 tags (can be a combination of 1 year and 3 year) for returned 2020 rabies tags.
- Hospital will receive a statement in the mail when credits are available to use. Letters of credit will be mailed by March 15, 2021. Please wait until your credits are available before using them in new tag orders.
- Credits must be used by August 31, 2021. No exceptions, as our system purges credits remaining on file after this deadline.
- Please DO NOT send your new tag order requests and your tag returns in the same mailing. Please send returns and orders separately.
- All returned tags must be in a protective type of package in order to be safely received. We cannot issue a credit if the package arrives open or damaged.
- Do not use a regular business envelope. Padded envelopes or boxes with proper packing materials are recommended.
- Tags must be in numerical order. We recommend you use paperclips or rings to keep them together before sending.
- Please do not tape tags to credit form or any other paper.
- Please send separately from your new tag orders request. We cannot accept checks for new orders with returned tags.
New Account - If you are a new hospital or clinic, you will need to submit a new account form and current W9 to create an account for purchases.
Account Changes - Please call our office at (708) 974-6140 for all hospital changes such as new owner, updating contact information, and any other information to keep our files current.
Ownership Transfer - If the hospital/clinic was recently purchased, the Veterinarian’s license and a W9 form must be submitted to our office.