Board of Election Commissioners
The Board of Elections mission is to administer transparent, impartial, accurate election systems; manage voter registrations; safeguard rights of voters to cast ballots independently in a safe, quiet atmosphere, free of interference or intimidation; and inform voters of options to cast ballots through Absentee Voting, Early Voting and Election Day Voting.
Mandates and Key Activities
- Administers all elections in the City of Chicago in keeping with the Illinois Election Code, Federal statutes and court rulings
- Maintains voter-registration records
- Processes candidate nominating petitions and hearing objections
- Prepares equipment and supplies for elections
- Communicates with voters on registration and voting options
- Identifies and secures polling places, equipment, judges of election and temporary staff during peak periods
- Under a newer law, the Board hears objections to petitions not only for districts in Chicago, but also for state and federal legislative offices that span portions of both Chicago and Suburban Cook.
- Performs quality-assurance reviews and investigations