Cook County Offers Residents Safety Tips During High Wind Warning
Cook County’s Department of Emergency Management and Regional Security offers tips to residents during today’s high wind warning.
- Bring loose items – like patio furniture, potted plants and toys – indoors.
- If items are too large to bring indoors, make sure to anchor them so that they do not pose a hazard to people or property.
- Close and secure all doors and windows in your home or business. A strong wind can rip them from their hinges.
- When you are outdoors, watch for flying debris. Tree limbs can break and street signs can come loose.
- Take extra caution if you are in a high-profile vehicle like a truck or SUV. These types of vehicles are more likely to be pushed or even flip in high winds.
- If you see a downed power line
- Call 9-1-1 and your local utility company’s emergency line immediately.
- Do not touch anything that the power line is coming into contact with, including tree branches and vehicles.
- If a power line falls on your vehicle, stay inside your vehicle and do not touch any part of the metal frame.