Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle joined the Cook County Commission on Women’s Issues today in honoring 17 unsung heroines for their contributions to their communities, an annual ceremony held in recognition of Women’s History Month.
The Peggy A. Montes Unsung Heroine Award is presented to one woman from each of the County’s 17 legislative districts and one from the County at-large. Commissioners from the Cook County Commission on Women’s Issues receive input from the individual districts to identify exceptional nominees whose work is significant yet seldom recognized.
“We are grateful for the good work that is done by the 17 honorees. It is important to recognize and acknowledge the efforts implemented by women, and girls, of Cook County to better our communities,” said Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle, who helped present the awards.
Recipients of the 2019 Peggy A. Montes Unsung Heroine Award are:
- Bobbie Jean Ward, 1st District
- Anne Gordon, 2nd District
- Erin Toole Williams, 3rd District
- Julia A. Hunter, 4th District
- Lori J. Wilcox, 5th District
- Dannen Rose, 6th District
- Ilda Hernandez, 7th District
- Ashley Novoa, 8th District
- Dorothy Malachowski, 9th District
- Joyce Dugan, 10th District
- Amy McNicholas, 11th District
- Janet Giangrasse, 12th District
- Karen Chavers, 13th District
- Stephanie Zwilling, 14th District
- Joane McLeod, 15th District
- Judith De La Mora-Macias, 16th District
- Nazneen Hashmi, At-Large
For more information about the Cook County Commission on Women’s Issues and the 2019 honorees, visit www.cookcountyil.gov/cccwi.