Cook County Board President Preckwinkle announced the formation of a new Asian American Advisory Council comprised of a diverse group of leaders who will help the County develop strategies to better engage, serve, and connect with the Asian American community, which makes up 6% of the total population in Cook County.
The Asian American Advisory Council held its first meeting on Tuesday, March 17. The council will serve as policy advisors to the President and key members of her administration, briefing them on issues that matter to Asians and Asian Americans in Cook County. Council members noted that Asians have historically been underrepresented in elected leadership in Cook County and throughout the state. They also expressed interest in increasing participation by Asian Americans in government contracting.
“Cook County’s greatest asset is our diverse and engaged communities, and it’s important that we make sure that everyone has the opportunity to participate in local government,” President Preckwinkle said. “I am extremely grateful to the distinguished members of the Asian American Advisory Council who are volunteering their time and energy to make sure that Cook County government addresses the needs of all of our residents.”
The appointees to the Asian American Advisory Council are:
- David Namkung, Founder & Managing Partner, Clarity Partners, LLC.
- Eileen Chin, President, R.M. Chin & Associates, Inc.
- Lawrence Benito, CEO, ICIRR
- Thomas Choi, Public Affairs Manager, Office of Illinois State Comptroller
- Maria Kim, President & CEO, The Cara Program
- Smita Shah, President & CEO, Spaantech, Inc
- Josina Morita, Consultant
- Darryl Tom, Partner, Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A.