Groundbreaking for new Central Campus Health Center. View Release.
Rendering of the new campus area, courtesy of the Chicago Consultants Studio.
- The Cook County Health and Hospital System has long been recognized, and remains today, one of the world’s great teaching hospital systems attracting physicians from around the country and serving the health care needs of the city and the region. The introduction of County Care has afforded the Central Campus the opportunity to be fiscally sound and look to the future as a national leader in health care specialties. The Cook County Board of Commissioners (on March 12, 2014), approved the engagement of a strategic professional team to address the hospital’s future needs and to leverage the inherent real estate value from the available land. The strategic development manager team articulated the vision of the County Board President, the County Commissioners and the CCHHS leadership and provided the development parameters to help solve for CCHHS’ 1) core medical needs at Stroger Campus and 2) identify potentials for redevelopment of available real estate to both enhance the overall site, and provide revenue sources through mixed use development.
- Redevelopment of the Old County Hospital is one component of an ambitious plan for County property on the Central campus. Two parallel RFP solicitations — one for a new clinical and professional building for the Cook County Health and Hospitals System and one for the market rate mixed-use project at Old County– were issued in November 2014 and January 2015 respectively and design teams have been selected. Project construction will meet the County’s MBE/WBE, local hiring and prevailing wage requirements and/or goals. The project is expected to create more than two thousand temporary and permanent jobs. The team will work closely with the Chicago-Cook Workforce Partnership on outreach and training, with a focus on hiring within the community.
- For more information, please contact Jessica Caffrey, Director, Real Estate Management, Bureau of Asset Management at: Jessica.Caffrey@cookcountyil.gov, or at the project e-mail address: CC.StrogerRedev@cookcountyil.gov. To contact Real Estate Management by phone, please call: 312-603-0400 or 312-603-0300.
- Construction Begins on New Cook County Central Campus Health Center
- President Preckwinkle to Advance Transformational Redevelopment of Old Cook County Hospital and Excess Real Estate - View full release:
- Cook County Board to Consider Approval of Construction Budget for New Central Campus Health Center - View full release: