- For more than 180 years, Cook County has provided a safety net for health care in the greater Chicago region delivering services with dignity, regardless of a patient’s ability to pay. With this mission in mind, the Cook County Board of Commissioners approved the engagement of the Chicago Consultants Studio, Inc. in 2014 to help unlock the value of Old Cook County Building and leverage the inherent real estate value from the available land. The strategic development management team articulated the vision of the County Board President, the County Commissioners and the Cook County Health and Hospital System (CCHHS) (now Cook County Health) leadership, providing the development parameters to help solve for (1) core medical needs at Stroger Campus; and (2) identification for redevelopment of available real estate to both enhance the overall site, and provide revenue sources through mixed use development. The ribbon was cut on the Professional Building on October 28, 2018 (see images below).
- Redevelopment of the Old County Hospital (now known as Harrison Square) is the other component of an ambitious plan for County property on the Central campus, and constructoin is underway. Two parallel RFP solicitations — one for a new clinical and professional building - the Professional Building (noted above), and one for the market rate mixed-use project, grew out of the work noted above – and were issued in November 2014 and January 2015 respectively with design teams selected. The county real estate team and consultants held a design charrette with active involvement from the community and leading civic organizations. Construction is now underway. Project construction will meet the County’s MBE/WBE, local hiring and prevailing wage requirements and/or goals. The team will work closely with the Chicago-Cook Workforce Partnership on outreach and training, with a focus on hiring within the community.
A snapshot of construction in action - Harrision Square
Fall, 2019 - Welders in action during construction
Old Cook County Hospital Redevelopment - Harrision Square (mixed use project)
Rendering of the outside of Old Cook County hospital.
- Construction in action photos - beginning fall, 2018
- Department of Real Estate Management - Market Rate Development
Professional Building - Cook County Health
New Central Campus Health Center
Fantus Clinic Demolition - images
- For more information, please contact Jessica Caffrey, Director, Real Estate Management, Bureau of Asset Management at: Jessica.Caffrey@cookcountyil.gov, or at the project e-mail address: CC.StrogerRedev@cookcountyil.gov. To contact Real Estate Management by phone, please call: (312) 603-0400.
Rendering of the new campus area, courtesy of the Chicago Consultants Studio.
- Development of Old Cook County Hospital Advances - January, 2018
- Crains: 1/25/2018 - Illinois Medical District mixed use development to begin work
- Sun-times: 1/11/2018 - SNEED: Developer plans to make old county hospital a community anchor
- Video-Beam Topping Ceremony - Click - view video
- Groundbreaking for new Central Campus Health Center. View Release.
- Construction Begins on New Cook County Central Campus Health Center
- President Preckwinkle to Advance Transformational Redevelopment of Old Cook County Hospital and Excess Real Estate - View full release:
- Cook County Board to Consider Approval of Construction Budget for New Central Campus Health Center - View full release:
Fact Sheet Archive: