Cook County Updates Road Closures as Flooding Persists
Due to additional heavy rainfall, the Cook County Department of Transportation and Highways (DoTH) continues to close roadways and erect warning signs to alert area drivers to potential hazards. Below is an update:
Road closures include:
- Prospect Heights: Willow Road between Elmhurst Road and Wheeling Road
- Orland Park: 135th Street from LaGrange Road to Southwest Highway
- Orland Park: Will Cook Road from 151st Street to 159th Street
- Matteson: Vollmer Road between I-57 and Cicero Avenue
Signs warning of water on pavement have been set up in the following locations:
- Hoffman Estates: Ela Road just north of Central Road
- Barrington Hills: Brinker Road at Algonquin Road
- Skokie: Crawford Avenue between Golf Road and Oakton Street
- Skokie: Frontage Road north of Old Orchard Road and east of I-94
- Orland Park: 108th Avenue south of 159th Street
- Bremen Township: Central Avenue at 183rd Street
- Dixmoor: Thornton Road between 139th Street to Wood Street
- Riverdale: 138th Street between Halsted Avenue and Wood Street
DoTH reminds drivers to exercise extreme caution when encountering water on any roadway and offers the following information and tips:
- Do not attempt to drive through a flooded road. The depth of water is not always obvious. The road bed may be washed out under the water and you could be stranded or trapped.
- Do not drive around a barricade. Barricades are there for your protection. Turn around and go the other way.
- Be especially cautious driving at night when it is harder to recognize flood dangers.
- Do not drive into flooded areas. If flood waters rise around your vehicle, abandon it and move to higher ground if you can do so safely.
- Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars causing loss of control and possible stalling.
- A foot of water will float many vehicles.
- Two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including SUVs and pick-up trucks.