Flooding Leads to Road Closures Across Cook County
The Cook County Department of Transportation and Highways is closing roadways and erecting warning signs to alert area drivers to potential hazards after days of heavy rainfall.
Road closures include:
- Orland Park: 135th Street from LaGrange Road to Southwest Highway
- Orland Park: Will Cook Road from 151st Street to 159th Street
- Prospect Heights: Willow Road between Wheeling Road and Elmhurst Road
Signs warning of water on pavement have been set up in the following locations:
- Palatine: Ela Road between Central Road and Algonquin Road
- Barrington Hills: Brinker Road at Algonquin Road
- Niles: Crawford Avenue between Golf Road and Oakton Street
- Orland Park: 82nd Avenue at Forestview Drive
- Orland Park: 108th Avenue south of 159th Street
- Rich Township: Central Avenue at 183rd Street
- Matteson: Vollmer Road between Cicero Avenue and I-57
Residents are encouraged to exercise extreme caution when encountering water on any roadway and keep the following information and tips in mind:
- Do not attempt to drive through a flooded road. The depth of water is not always obvious. The road bed may be washed out under the water and you could be stranded or trapped.
- Do not drive around a barricade. Barricades are there for your protection. Turn around and go the other way.
- Be especially cautious driving at night when it is harder to recognize flood dangers.
- Do not drive into flooded areas. If flood waters rise around your vehicle, abandon it and move to higher ground if you can do so safely.
- Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars causing loss of control and possible stalling.
- A foot of water will float many vehicles.
- Two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including SUVs and pick-up trucks.