The Cook County Department of Transportation and Highways is closing roadways and erecting warning signs to alert area drivers to potential hazards after days of heavy rainfall.
Road closures include:
- Orland Park: 135th Street from LaGrange Road to Southwest Highway
- Orland Park: Will Cook Road from 151st Street to 159th Street
- Prospect Heights: Willow Road between Wheeling Road and Elmhurst Road
Signs warning of water on pavement have been set up in the following locations:
- Palatine: Ela Road between Central Road and Algonquin Road
- Barrington Hills: Brinker Road at Algonquin Road
- Niles: Crawford Avenue between Golf Road and Oakton Street
- Orland Park: 82nd Avenue at Forestview Drive
- Orland Park: 108th Avenue south of 159th Street
- Rich Township: Central Avenue at 183rd Street
- Matteson: Vollmer Road between Cicero Avenue and I-57
Residents are encouraged to exercise extreme caution when encountering water on any roadway and keep the following information and tips in mind:
- Do not attempt to drive through a flooded road. The depth of water is not always obvious. The road bed may be washed out under the water and you could be stranded or trapped.
- Do not drive around a barricade. Barricades are there for your protection. Turn around and go the other way.
- Be especially cautious driving at night when it is harder to recognize flood dangers.
- Do not drive into flooded areas. If flood waters rise around your vehicle, abandon it and move to higher ground if you can do so safely.
- Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars causing loss of control and possible stalling.
- A foot of water will float many vehicles.
- Two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including SUVs and pick-up trucks.