Flooding Leads to Road Closures Across Cook County
The Cook County Department of Transportation and Highways has closed roadways due to flooding from heavy rainfall.
Road closures include:
- Orland Park: 135th Street from La Grange Road to Southwest Highway
- Orland Park: Will Cook Road from 151st Street to 159th Street
- Orland Park: 108th Avenue from 159th Street to 163rd Street
- Robbins: Kedzie Avenue from 135th Street to 139th Street
Updates to road closures will be provided at @CookCountyGov.
Residents are encouraged to exercise extreme caution when they encounter water on any roadway and keep the following information and tips in mind:
- Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars causing loss of control and possible stalling.
- A foot of water will float many vehicles.
- Two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including SUVs and pick-ups.
- Do not attempt to drive through a flooded road. The depth of water is not always obvious. The road bed may be washed out under the water, and you could be stranded or trapped.
- Do not drive around a barricade. Barricades are there for your protection. Turn around and go the other way.
- Be especially cautious driving at night when it is harder to recognize flood dangers.
- Do not drive into flooded areas. If flood waters rise around your vehicle, abandon it and move to higher ground if you can do so safely.