Monday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Tuesday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Wednesday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Thursday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Friday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
UPDATE: Per the Cook County Board President’s Executive Order 2020-3, our office at 69 W. Washington is closed to encourage social distancing and prevent the spread of COVID-19. However many essential functions are still being provided.
Permits: To assist businesses during the COVID-19 response, the department is waiving all revision fees. You may apply for asbestos removal or demolition permits or submit reports online, using links in the menu to the right. However processing time may be longer than 48 hours. Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-603-8220. You may also apply for Asbestos Abatement Contractor Registration.
Thank you for your patience.
Asbestos Abatement Permits
An Asbestos Abatement permit application is required for all asbestos projects (residential, commercial, institutional and industrial) and must be applied for at least ten (10) working days before the start of the project. See below for fee schedule:
- Residential: $200.00 filing fee
- Commercial: $200.00 filing fee and Inspection fee: $6/square foot, $2/linear foot
- Inspection fee shall not exceed $2,000.00
- All fees are non-refundable
Please note: Cook County does not distinguish between friable and non-friable Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) in the above fee schedule.
- Asbestos Abatement Permits are valid for intervals of 30 days at a time. Contractors are not permitted to be off-site for more than 10 consecutive calendar days at a time without pulling a new permit.
- You are required to submit a revision via the Electronic Permit Processing Portal if your work hours/shifts differ from what is on your application. Failure to do so will automatically VOID the permit.
- Phasing: If the contractor is off-site for more than 10 consecutive calendar days, or if the scope of work is increased by more than 15% within 5 days of the project's completion, or if on-site work dates cannot be specifically identified, then the situation counts as Phasing and your permit will be VOIDED.
- You can revise a permit anytime between the original start and completion dates of the project.
- Submit a revision via the portal to notify the department of an O&M permit project notification within 48 hours prior to starting each removal episode. The notice must include the location within the building to which the work is to be performed, onsite contact information, and the anticipated work hours.
- A general asbestos removal permit may be revised up to six (6) times within one (1) year from the issuance. O&M permits have unlimited revisions.
Operations and Maintenance Asbestos Removal Permits
To obtain a first-time Operations and Maintenance Asbestos Removal Permit an applicant must submit an email request to email@example.com no less than 15 days prior to the scheduled start of the asbestos renovation project. The Applicant will work with the Asbestos & Demolition Coordinator to submit the required information.
O&M permits are valid for one calendar year (the calendar year in which the permit was issued), Jan. 1 through Dec. 31. (Applications may be submitted at any time).
The annual report and inspection fee requirements are as follows:
- Summary reports and inspectional fees are due every quarter (or biannually depending on facility type)
- Healthcare facilities and schools: Every 6 months
- Commercial and/or industrial buildings: Every quarter
- Inspectional fees: $6.00/square foot and $2.00/linear foot
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (312) 603- 8200.