Cooling Centers Available Across Cook County During Periods of Excessive Heat
When temperatures in Cook County are expected to rise to unsafe levels, the County's Department Emergency Management and Regional Security provides Cooling Centers for residents to get out of the heat.
Residents are reminded during hot weather to:
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Try to stay in the shade or indoors as much as possible
- If working outside, take frequent breaks, preferably in an air-conditioned space
- Check on elderly neighbors and those with functional needs
- Take pets indoors and make sure they have plenty of water
- Never leave children or pets unattended in a vehicle
Residents who do not have access to air conditioning are encouraged to take advantage of cooling centers throughout Cook County. See below for interactive map of all locations (for summer 2020).
Residents who need to seek shelter at a cooling center should contact the center first to verify it is open.
Chicago residents can click here to find the nearest cooling center.