About Honor Grants
The Cook County Department of Veterans Affairs is awarding $1.5 million in multi-year Honor Grants to nonprofit organizations that have existing programs for veterans and their families that provide resources and services to address mental health, education and job placement, home and food security in addition to making benefits more accessible. Nonprofit organizations who have experienced significant revenue loss during the COVID-19 pandemic and require support to sustain and expand existing programs for veterans are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
- Nonprofit organizations with at least three years of experience serving Cook County veterans
- Ability to demonstrate lost revenue or significant increase in veteran service population that exceeds revenue growth
- Willing to monitor and quantify program effectiveness
Grants will be awarded for $25,000, $50,000 and $100,000 depending on the applicant’s request and program need.
To apply for an Honor Grant, applicants must complete:
- Written application form (click to download fillable PDF)
- Budget and narrative form (click to download .xls file)
- Supporting documentation (as applicable)
- Summary information of their organization
- Contact information, including email of the organization’s executive director and personnel responsible for program management
- Documentation of their 501(c)3 status
- A certificate of good standing with the Illinois Secretary of State
- Recent financial statements
- An overview of what the organization plans to do with the grant
- Documentation of any recent litigation to which they have been a party
- A conflict-of-interest statement
- At least one letter of recommendation
- Once all materials above are complete, submit using the online webform at the bottom of this page.
Need Assistance Applying?
American Legions or Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFWs) interested in applying for an Honor Grant, but need assistance filling out the application, are encouraged to contact:
No Veteran Left Behind
Missed Our Webinar? Watch the Recorded Session Below!
VA hosted a virtual webinar on Thursday, September 15 to help nonprofit organizations develop compelling grant proposals. In case you missed it, watch the recorded session below.
Watch the webinar on Cook County's YouTube channel here: https://youtu.be/6oSiuVcnGRw
- September 8, 2022 - Online application period opens
- September 15, 2022 - Virtual assistance webinar
- September 30, 2022 - Applications close at 11:59 p.m. CST
- October 1-31, 2022 – Applications reviewed
- November 10, 2022 - Honor Grant awardees announced
Applications will be evaluated on a 100 point scale. View the Honor Grants Evaluation Criteria document for more information.
Email all questions and concerns to Veterans Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To receive information and updates as additional programs for veterans are launched, sign up to receive the County's Department of Veterans Affairs newsletter.