This guide provides a list of legal news outlets, legal technology updates and general news sources online.
I. Legal News
- DCBA Brief - The online edition of the DCBA Brief comprises lead articles for the issues from May 1997 through current issue. Links to judicial practice tips, judicial profiles and professional responsibility articles. From the DuPage County Bar Association.
- ABAJournal.com - Select Magazine tab for full text issues back to October 2004. Provides access to a Blawg Directory arranged by legal topic. Searchable.
- FindLaw Legal News and Commentary - Top legal headlines from the past week. Includes front page news in the areas of business, civil rights, crime, environment, immigration, labor, personal injury, politics, product liability, supreme court, tech & IP.
- Law.com - Focused news for in-house counsel, small firm business, large law firm, international news and supreme court monitor. From ALM.
- American Lawyer - Significant legal business stories.
- Jurist-Legal News and Research - JURIST is a legal news and real-time legal research website that tracks important legal news. Provides US and international versions. Supported by the University of Pittsburgh School of Law.
- Business Law Today - News magazine for business lawyers from the ABA. Full-text available.
- Legal News Center - Collection of links to legal news sources online. From Hieros Gamos Legal News Center.
- Lyle Denniston Law News - Legal news from Lyle Denniston, formerly of Scotusblog (see below)
- InSITE - A current awareness service of Cornell Law Library highlighting selected law-related Web sites. An annotated publication available electronically and as a keyword-searchable database. Available as an RSS feed and by email subscription.
II. Illinois Email Alerts
- Subscribe to IPI Civil Jury Instructions - Free service. Subscribe to receive e-mail notification or Twitter alert when new IPI Civil Jury Instruction information is posted to the Illinois Courts website.
- Subscribe to IPI Criminal Jury Instructions - Free service. Subscribe to receive e-mail notification or Twitter alert when new IPI Criminal Jury Instruction information is posted to the Illinois Courts website.
- Subscribe to Illinois Supreme Court Rules - Free service. Subscribe to receive e-mail notification when new/updated Illinois Supreme Court Rules are posted to the Illinois Courts website.
- Flash Points - Flashpoints is a free monthly email service from the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) that provides practice updates on the following topics: business law, civil litigation, criminal law, employment, estate & probate law, ethics, family law, financial services, law office technology, law practice management, real estate law practice, and workers' compensation.
III. Technology News
- beSpacific - Daily law and technology news with links to reliable primary and secondary sources on e-government, copyright, privacy, government documents, cybercrime and ID theft, the Patriot Act, freedom of information, and other topics. Archives cover entries back to September 2002. Created by Sabrina I. Pacifici, Washington DC based law librarian.
- LLRX.com - LLRX.com is a free Web journal providing legal, library, IT/IS, marketing and administrative professionals with current information on a wide range of Internet research and technology-related issues, applications, resources and tools, since 1996. Sabrina I. Pacifici, Founder, Editor, Publisher, Web Manager.
- Law Technology News - Full-text articles focusing on the technology needs of lawyers: software, hardware, computer security, networking, IT management, and electronic data discovery (EDD).
IV. Legal Blogs, or Blawgs
Web logs, also commonly referred to as blogs, are an online collection of websites and commentary that are frequently updated and intended for general public consumption. Law blogs or "blawgs" are blogs written by lawyers or law students discussing law and legal affairs. Many law blogs contain links to other law-related blogs on their sites.
- Illinois Trial Practice Weblog - Tips and techniques for trial lawyers, appearing for the plaintiff or defense.
- Legal Blawgs by Topic - Covers numerous legal topics. Includes archives. From the Law Library of Congress.
- MyShingle.com - Tips and information for solo and small firm lawyers. From the Law Offices of Carolyn Elefant in DC.
- The Bankruptcy Litigation Blog - Published by Steve Jakubowski.
- Blawg Directory - Compilation of legal blogs provided by ABA Journal - Law News Now.
- Moritz Legal Information Blog - Legal information and research resources blog from the Michael E. Moritz Law Library, Ohio State University.
- May It Please the Court - A weblog of legal news & observations by J. Craig Williams. Emphasis on business litigation news. Extensive collection of links to legal blogs in left sidebar.
- SCOTUSblog - A Peabody Award-winning blog focused on the United States Supreme Court, including liveblogs of opinion announcements. Founded by Tom Goldstein and Amy Howe.
- Law Professors Blog Network - "Law Professor Blogs is a network of blogs designed from the ground-up to assist law professors in their scholarship and teaching." Topic-oriented blogs:
- Antitrust & Competition Policy Blog
- Business Law Prof Blog
- Chinese Law Prof Blog
- ContractsProf Blog
- CrimProf Blog
- Elder Law Prof Blog
- Environmental Law Prof Blog
- Family Law Prof Blog
- HealthLawProf Blog
- Media Law Prof Blog
- Sentencing Law and Policy
- TaxProf Blog
- White Collar Crime Prof Blog
- Wills, Trusts & Estates Prof Blog
- Workplace Prof Blog
- Law Librarian Blog - Formerly a part of the Law Professor Blog Network.
V. International Legal News
- ASIL Insights - Provides concise and substantive background information focusing on developments of interest to the international legal community. 1996-present. Free email subscription available.
- International Law in Brief - Developments in international law, prepared by the Attorney-Editors of the International Legal Materials, a publication of the American Society of International Law (ASIL). Bi-weekly. August 1998-present. Free email subscription available.
- International Judicial Monitor - News items focusing on significant judicial developments, international resources, and international tribunals compiled by ASIL and International Judicial Academy. RSS feed available.
- Global Legal Monitor (GLM) - Online publication from the Law Library of Congress summarizing global legal developments. Subscribe for email updates.
- Legal Week - A publisher of news and analysis for lawyers in the UK. Selected full-text stories.
- US Newspaper List - Select a state to access local newspapers, magazines, television and radio stations. Includes links for Twitter feeds.
- Today's Front Pages - Includes the front pages of more than 450 newspapers from over 40 countries with link to the paper's website. Listed by region. Pages available by 9:30 a.m. daily. From the Newseum in D.C.
The web sites listed in this guide are for information only and are not endorsed or supported by the Cook County Law Library. Please independently verify the accuracy and currency of all information. Consult an attorney for legal advice.
Revised May 2016