Rabies Vaccination Tags
This page is for Cook County residents with pets that have been vaccinated by a licensed veterinarian who need to purchase a rabies tag or replacement tag.
**If your veterinarian administered a 3-year rabies vaccine and did not have any 3-year tags available during your visit, please fill out the rabies tag order form and mail or visit the office in-person to purchase with the appropriate documentation.**
Rabies and Replacement Tags
Cook County residents can now print and complete the Rabies Tag Order Form, also found under the Downloads section of this page, to order a rabies or replacement tag. Replacement tags can be obtained if the current tag is lost or if the resident moved from another location. The cost is $6 for a 1-year tag and $18 for a 3-year tag. To obtain a rabies or replacement tag by mail or in-person, please provide the following documentation:
- Rabies tag order form
- Rabies certificate from veterinarian
- A copy of one of the following documents: state issued identification, current lease or utility bill (first page only)
- Payment. Acceptable forms of payment include:
- Mail: Check or money order. Do not mail cash.
- In-person: Check, money order or cash.
- Please make checks or money orders payable to: Cook County Animal and Rabies Control. We do not accept credit cards at this time.
Residents are welcome to visit our office to purchase a rabies or replacement tag from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., Monday - Friday.
All animals receiving rabies vaccinations are issued a rabies tag that has been purchased from Cook County Animal and Rabies Control. These tags act as proof of rabies vaccination as well as a form of identification. Each tag is entered into a database maintained by Cook County Animal and Rabies Control. It allows for the reunion of lost pets with their owners. The current database utilized by Cook County Animal and Rabies Control is the second largest in the country with more than 500,000 registered animals.