Medical Examiner Identification Information
Identification Hours: 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., weekends and official Cook County holidays. please call 312-997-4418 to speak to Intake
Out of respect for the deceased and their families and to avoid any disruption to daily operations, only a limited number of cases require identification at the Medical Examiner’s facility.
Legal Next of Kin Order
1. Person named in a written instrument
2. Executor/POA (POA as long as POA doesn’t end at death) disposition must be addressed.
3. Surviving Spouse
4. Surviving Competent ADULT Child –if more than one, the majority of all
5. Surviving Competent Parent(s)
6. Surviving Sibling(s) – if more than one, the majority as long as reasonable efforts to notify all
a. Cousins, nieces/nephews
7. Indigents, No Next of Kin…Public Administrator
8. Individual, in Nursing facility/Private Institution, who donated their bodies and executed cremation authorization, the institution will make arrangements
9. Any other person or organization who is willing to assume legal AND financial responsibility
Note: The divorced spouse, with or without minor children, has no control over disposition. The law recognizes competent adult children.