All Law Library branch locations are now open to the public and following social distancing guidelines in order to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Visit the COVID-19 Guidance page to learn more about the County's efforts to keep residents safe and healthy.
About the Law Library
The Cook County Law Library (CCLL) serves the legal information needs of the legal profession, judiciary, self-represented litigants and the public. CCLL connects residents to timley, authoratative legal resources that promotes access to justice for all.
The main Law Library, located in the Daley Center in downtown Chicago, offers all library users an extensive collection of practical legal resources in print and many premier legal databases. Specialized collections include government documents as well as foreign and international law including current and historical materials.
The Law Library has five branch locations at outlying courthouses: Criminal Courts, Bridgeview, Maywood, Markham and Skokie. All library locations are open Monday-Friday, excluding court holidays.
To promote equitable access to justice by providing residents, attorneys and public officials with a robust collection of legal information resources and offering high-quality legal research assistance.
- Establish and maintain a public County Law Library, including branches, freely available to all licensed Illinois attorneys, judges and other public officers of the County in addition to all members of the public.
- Assist members of the bench, bar, public officials and members of the public with legal research.
- Support access to justice by developing and expanding services for self-represented litigants including increased access to legal information and advice through a self-help environment.
- Identify the changing service needs of the legal profession and public through ongoing client contacts and internal evaluation insuring maximum service in the areas of greatest demand.
- Acquire, develop and maintain a practice-oriented collection of legal research materials in print and electronic format to meet the needs of our diverse patron clientele.
All Law Library visitors must abide by the Library Rules for Use. Note that library rules prohibit the use of the library "in lieu of an office for the practice of law or any other professional, business, or related activity" (Cook County Code of Ordinances, sec. 50-33(a)(2)).