Monday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Tuesday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Wednesday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Thursday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Friday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
UPDATE: Per the Cook County Board President’s Executive Order 2020-3, our office at 69 W. Washington is closed to encourage social distancing and prevent the spread of COVID-19. However many essential functions are still being provided.
Permits: You may apply for permits online – see the menu at right on this page. If you need help, EMAIL contact information can be found on each page. To assist businesses during the COVID-19 response, the department is extending the due date of annual certificate of operation, solid waste, and recycling fees. Asbestos/demo revision and equipment registration fees are waived. The department will not be issuing open burn permits during this time.
Environmental Complaints: You may still register environmental complaints by emailing email@example.com or calling 312-603-8212.
Thank you for your patience.
IL Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity is working with partners to lauch emergency assistance programs for IL small businesses. Find out more information and how to apply here: https://www2.illinois.gov/dceo/SmallBizAssistance/Pages/EmergencySBAIntiatives.aspx
The Cook County Department of Environment and Sustainability works to improve the quality of the environment for all residents of Cook County.
Mandates and Key Activities
- Enforce Cook County Environmental Control Ordinance
- Implement Illinois EPA cooperative agreements on pollution control, inspection
- Administer U.S. EPA, DOE and other grant agreements
- Permit and inspect industrial and commercial fuel-burning equipment, asbestos abatement, demolition, solid waste facilities, open burning and facilities that store hazardous chemicals for environmental compliance
- Investigate citizen complaints and ordinance violations
- Reduce waste in energy, materials and water
- Prepare solid waste plan for suburban Cook County
- Monitor air quality for the U.S. EPA
As of December 1, 2017, the Cook County Department of Environmental Control is now the Department of Environment and Sustainability
Sustainability in Cook County
Have you seen Cook County’s sustainability website?
At Cook County we want to lead by example. At the site you’ll find information about County projects to lower our environmental footprint and our costs.