Our office at 69 W. Washington St. is open, but with limited staffing to encourage social distancing and prevent the spread of COVID-19. However, services are still being provided. Please see the menu to the right for services provided by the department.
Certificate of Operation (COO)
The Certificate of Operation (COO) payment deadline for 2021 COO is August 13, 2021. All payments for your Certificate of Operation (COO) shall be submitted through the electronic permit processing portal. Further details can be found here.
To obtain an Equipment Registration Permit, you must register/manage your equipment using the Payment portal and enter your CCDES Site ID. Your CCDES Site ID can be found on your Statement of Account.
You may apply for permits online – see the menu at right on this page. If you need help, email contact information can be found on each page.
You may still register environmental complaints by emailing email@example.com or calling 312-603-8212.
Thank you for your patience.
Cook County has launched a comprehensive initiative to provide economic relief to small businesses, non-profits, community service organizations and independent contractors (1099 workers) in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Click here for more information: https://www.cookcountyil.gov/recovery
The Cook County Department of Environment and Sustainability works to improve the quality of the environment for all residents of Cook County.
Mandates and Key Activities
- Enforce Cook County Environmental Control Ordinance
- Implement Illinois EPA cooperative agreements on pollution control, inspection
- Administer U.S. EPA, DOE and other grant agreements
- Permit and inspect industrial and commercial fuel-burning equipment, asbestos abatement, demolition, solid waste facilities, open burning and facilities that store hazardous chemicals for environmental compliance
- Investigate citizen complaints and ordinance violations
- Reduce waste in energy, materials and water
- Prepare solid waste plan for suburban Cook County
- Monitor air quality for the U.S. EPA
As of December 1, 2017, the Cook County Department of Environmental Control is now the Department of Environment and Sustainability.
Sustainability in Cook County
Have you seen Cook County’s sustainability website?
At Cook County we want to lead by example. At the site you’ll find information about County projects to lower our environmental footprint and our costs.