Benefits eligibility begins the first day of the month following employment date.
- Eligible employees include:
- Full-time employees
- Part-time employees
- Employees on Leave of Absence status
- COBRA participants
Eligibility status impacts required contributions.
Dependent benefits are extended to spouse, domestic partners and civil union partners. If both the employee and spouse or partner are Cook County employees, all family members must be covered under one enrollment.
Children up to age 26 are eligible for health benefits coverage as dependents. Military veterans may be covered up to the age of 30 with a DD214 form, documentation of discharge other than dishonorable, and verification of Illinois residency.
- Documentation of eligibility required:
- Spouse/partner – marriage certificate, civil union or domestic partner certificate
- Child – birth certificate, adoption certificate or legal guardianship form
- All required documents must be scanned and uploaded to Employee Self Service to complete enrollment
Pursuant to collective bargaining agreements, union employees must select a Health HMO plan and Dental HMO plan during their first year of employment. Plan changes may only be made during the next annual open enrollment period.
You can waive – or “opt out” of your medical benefits if you provide proof of benefits from another source.